My Journey as a Surrogate

Saturday, September 27, 2008

BIG day today: Egg Retrieval and My First PIO Shot

So, today my IM went in for her egg retrieval. I was on pins and needles all day, but I never got a phone call. I'm assuming that's a good thing. Though, I am concerned for her and how she's feeling. I figured that if they didn't get any eggs they would have called to tell me that my trip is canceled. So, no call=good news, right? (Let's hope so).

Tonight I did my FIRST PIO (progesterone in oil) shot. It's an intramuscular injection (upper, outer quadrant of buttox). I was worried because I've heard horror stories of how much it hurts, how hard it is to do, etc... Some people can't do the shot themselves so their husband or someone else has to do it.

Well, tonight I decided that I was going to do it myself. I did it.. I got it all prepped, I twisted myself in such a way that I could reach, and as I stuck the needle in, it didn't even hurt. I pushed it into the muscle, and it still didn't hurt! It was a little hard getting the oil pushed into the muscle just because it's so thick and takes a while to push through the syringe. Then, I pulled it out, and rubbed the area to help disperse the oil.

I'm sure that once my muscles catch on to what I'm doing and start to feel like pin cushions they'll revolt and start to ache, but the shot itself is no big deal, thank goodness!

Tomorrow we find out how many eggs fertilized. Monday, my friend Christina and I fly out to NJ! How exciting is this?!?!

2 Comments:

  • At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so so excited for you! I am praying all them eggies are going well!

     
  • At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh I am so excited and teary as you embark on this. I can't wait to hear how it all goes. i am interested in details as I have no idea how all this works.
    (it's Courtney)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home