My Journey as a Surrogate

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Started Lupron last Thursday

Woo hoo!!!!! I'm finally doing it! The first night I froze up a little bit, even though it's a very small needle for the lupron, but let's face it... it's just not natural to poke ones' self with a needle. Anyways, I pinched some flesh on my tummy area and after about a minute I slowly shoved the needle in. It wasn't bad AT ALL!

In the surro world this is referred to as getting "Loopy on Lupron" because it can cause some pretty bad mood swings (the lupron essentially puts someone in a state of menopause, making it easier for the Dr. to coordinate our cycles). I wasn't feeling strangely at all until the following evening when I was making dinner and I had a bit of a break down over something completely ridiculous and cried for about 15 minutes. Since then, I've been much better. I can tell when I'm starting to get "edgy" and I have to remind myself that it's just the lupron, it's not really me... so I take control of myself.

I only have two more days of BC pills! Yay! I'm not sure how long I stay on the lupron. I go on Friday for monitering (bloodwork and ultrasound) to see how things look and then from there I'll hear what the rest of my protocol is.

The PIO (progesterone in oil) shots look SCARY. Those ones have to be done in my butt/hip area and the needles are thicker and longer than the lupron needles. Ouch. If I can't do it myself James will be doing it for me. Not sure when I start those.

My IM also started lupron (last night) so we're really rolling now! =)

3 Comments:

  • At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so excited for you Bethany. You are on your way. I bet just a few weeks ago you were doubting if this was ever gonna really happen. And here you are. I am glad you are handling the Loppiness well. Keep your eyes on the prize. I hope your journey is simple amazing.

     
  • At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay progress!!! I LOL'd at the "Loopy on Lupron" ...it's catchy.

     
  • At 1:24 AM, Blogger ~Desiree said…

    WOW! It's happening and all so real now!! Hugs girlie! What a fantastic gift this is.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home