My Journey as a Surrogate

Thursday, July 26, 2007

I think I have IP's!

I applied to an agency local to me, but I didn't want to limit my search for IP's so I decided to post an ad in the classifieds section of a surrogacy website. I immediately started receiving replies to the ad, none of which really struck my fancy. People sending me one line emails just asking me my "comp" or people who wanted TS only... uh, I made it perfectly clear in my ad that I would be a GS only. Or other people who's hurt was still very evident in their messages. I'm sorry, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable taking this kind of journey with a couple who is still emotionally so raw.

I finally got a reply from an IM in NY. From her first email to me, I had a smile on my face and I really liked her. She was so happy and excited and a very nice person. Finally (I don't know why I keep saying finally, it really only took a day or 2, LOL)! Someone who wasn't all business. Someone who was a real person and in a good place emotionally (at least she seems to be). Her and her husband already have a beautiful 4 yr old daughter and for reasons I won't get into here (I don't like telling other peoples' stories) they can't have any more babies. They really want her to have a sibling to grow up with and I can totally understand that. I can't imagine my kids not having each other. Sure they fight like siblings do, but they are also best friends.

So I replied to her and we hit it off (as much as one can hit it off through emails, lol)! We are on the same page as far as all of the important matters that must be taken into account when it comes to surrogacy. We exchanged photos of our families and that made it seem more real. It's nice to put a face to a name. We've talked back and forth a few times and there is definitely a connection. There are no "red flags" or bad gut feelings. So, even though we never formally said "hey let's work together!", I think that we are. LOL! It's pretty much one of those things that is just understood without even having to say it.

So... here we are. It takes a long time to fill out all the required paperwork and gather medical records and such, but this is where I'm at now in the process. I'm not sure exactly when, but at some point when all the paperwork is done James and I will have to fly to NY for an all day screening with their clinic, so cleverly dubbed the "all day". We'll have to undergo medical screening as well as psychological. This will also be our first time meeting our IP's in person. =D Then we fly back home and wait to see if I passed the screening. Talk about nerve wracking! We do contracts at some point in there too. Once all is said and done and I'm (hopefully!) cleared to work with them we'd have to start meds (pills and shots, yikes!). When it's time for the actual transfer (IVF) I'd have to go back NY (either by myself or with a companion). I'm not sure what that clinic's protocol is but from my understanding, most RE's want the GS to be on bedrest for 24-48 hrs after. I'd fly back home and then the dreaded 2ww (2 week wait) when we'd have to wait and see a pregnancy was achieved.

So... that's that! I'm off to do some more paperwork stuff. Fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home